Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Choose Your Own Adventure

Choose Your Own Adventure


by Robert Hughey (Google+)



When I was a kid, my all-time favorite books to buy at the Book Fairs or to grab up at the local library were a series of books called "Choose Your Own Adventure." The books were usually some sort of magical fantasy, action adventure or even science-fiction wonder, but what made them so unique was that as you would progress through the story, you'd come to a point in the story and would be given a choice.

Maybe you, as the main character of the story, would come to a fork in a road, and the book would tell you if you wanted to go one way to turn to a certain page in the book, but if you wanted to go a different direction, you had to turn to an entirely different page for an entirely different story.

I loved these stories so much. I remember I took it very personal when I'd make a choice and end up dead or injured. In fact, I seem to remember that one of the stories had me make a choice and I ended up  falling down a hole and being eaten by giant spiders.

I didn't like that very much.

But the great thing about those books was that if I made a wrong choice and ended up suffering the consequences, even by way of giant spiders, I could always start the story over again back before I had to make the choice. This time around I could make a different choice, the one that didn't end up in a pit of giant spiders.

And I'm writing about those books tonight because on one hand, I really do wish life was like them, that if I made the wrong choice and was eaten by giant spiders, I could just flip back a few pages and choose the non-spider-munching route instead of my previous poor choice.

Luckily, most of life's big forks in the road don't result in spider pits. No, what it seems like instead is that we're given a choice in a matter, maybe in the way we react to a certain situation, and if we make the wrong choice, for some amazing reason we find that the world works (call it karma, call it kismet) is that we're bound to end up facing a very similar choice in the future.

And this time we can make the better choice.

Or perhaps we can choose to be eaten by spiders again, I mean, this is a world with Free Choice, after all.

Personally, I'm done being eaten by the spiders, and I also feel very much used up regarding the lessons karma continues to put before me. I don't want to say "I'm done," as I gather that in the game of life, I don't think we're ever necessarily finished with what we want to accomplish or learn from the experience.

But I am done with Big Spider Pits and whatever lessons those are supposed to impart. I think I'd choose another adventure entirely, to be honest - one where no choices result in any pits or bugs or anything with as many as eight legs.

1 comment:

  1. Robert, Do you still like to read??
    If so, I have a book I'd like to gift you
    I don't see a place to send you an email, so here's mine
    freeflowingthruform@gmail.com
    ~Blessings~
    Jazz

    ReplyDelete

Translate this Blog

Receive New Posts from The Ascended Apprentice as they are posted.

Contact The Ascended Apprentice

Name

Email *

Message *

Synchronicity: Higher Density Blog